Your Healthcare

Health care cards:

Most healthcare needs are covered by the province’s medical coverage, once you are a resident of Ontario. If required, private healthcare plans are available to cover specialized treatments that do not fall under the province’s scope of coverage.

When you move to the province of Ontario, you need to apply for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). To do so, you will need a proof of address in your new city and birth certificates for all your family members. Any mailed correspondence or utility statement that has your name and new address on it qualifies as a proof of residency.

Where to apply:

You can apply for the provincial health card at the OHIP Office that is located at 75 Albert Street, 7th floor, located in downtown Ottawa. Or, you can call the OHIP Office and make an appointment and get more information on how OHIP helps you. OHIP (Ottawa): 613-237-9100 Ontario Health Insurance Plan.

Centres for your family’s healthcare:

Basic information from your home health clinic including previous health history, immunization or medical records information will help the Ottawa health care teams know about you and your family.

There are 2 Aboriginal health centres:

Tungasuvvingat Inuit Health Centre, 24 Selkirk Street, 613-740-0999.

Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health, 299 Montreal Road, 613-748-5999.

Both are located in the east part of the city. There are also a number of neighbourhood walk-in health centres that may take “N” numbers.

Information you will need to be seen by a healthcare clinic:

  • Birth certificate
  • Health care card
  • Contact information
  • Address, residence in Ottawa

There are many hospitals in Ottawa and a special children’s hospital called the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, more commonly known as CHEO. For adults, there are 3 main hospitals. All hospitals will take emergency patients.

Hospital Contact Information
The Ottawa Hospital 613-722-7000
General Campus 501 Smyth Road
Civic Campus 1053 Carling Avenue
Riverside Campus 1967 Riverside Drive
Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) 401 Smyth Road
Queensway-Carleton Hospital 3045 Baseline Road
Montfort Hospital 713 Montreal Road

Emergency telephone calls, dial ‘9-1-1’


Emergency resources:

Service Contact Information
Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region 613-238-3311
Mental Health Crisis Line
(24 hours a day)
613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991
Ligne Fem-Aide (french only) 1-877-336-2433
Ottawa Dental Society Dental
Emergency Service
Ottawa Public Health 613-580-6744
Ontario Poison Centre 1-800-268-9017
Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000
Get information from a qualified nurse.

Finding a family doctor:

Service Contact Information
Doctor Search 1-800-268-7096, ext. 626
College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario
Find A Dentist – Ontario Dental Association 416-922-3900
Find a Registered Dietician 1-877-510-5102
Health Care Connect 1 800 445-1822

Help Ontarians find a family health care provider.

For more healthcare contact information, go to the City of Ottawa’s website, click here.