There are many options for housing in Ottawa.

Inuit who do not own property in the North may apply for subsidized housing at the
Inuit Non-Profit Housing Corporation which is located at 311 McArthur Ave, Suite 102, telephone 613-741-1449. Another possible source for housing is Gignul Non-Profit Housing at 613-232-0016.

When renting, the common information needed when applying for housing is:

  • where you currently work,
  • how long you’ve worked at this employment,
  • where you lived previously,
  • for what length of time
  • the number of children,
  • the numbers of pets, and
  • how many bedrooms you are looking for.

It is important to consider asking the property managers about extra monthly costs, such as utilities’ payments: water, hydro, gas, type of heating, and property management fees. Other building/neighbourhood information you should explore are laundry arrangements, parking availability and fees, bus transportation, grocery stores, and school locations.

Other ways to rent an apartment or a house is to go online to kijiji.com or craigslist.com. There you may search the apartments and houses that are available through other residential managers, or private rentals for renting in all areas of the city.