Seeing The Light Conference
The Seeing the Light Program was created to provide cultural education to front-line service providers within the Ottawa area. The program coordinates twice-yearly conferences, in-house agency training, and cultural performances to support with cultural safety within mainstream agencies and add to Inuit knowledge within pan-Indigenous agencies. This program has worked with several agencies and organizations to create safer spaces for Inuit children, youth, and families, and we continue to expand.
Over the past two years, the program has expanded outside of the Ottawa area, and we partnered with the Toronto District School board in planning our first Seeing the Light Conference. The response was overwhelming with a waitlist the size of the spaces available, and therefore, Inuuqatigiit — Centre for Inuit Children, Youth and Families hosted another conference in the fall of 2018.
The Seeing the Light Program has worked with a variety of partners including:
• Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
• City of Ottawa
• Ottawa Police Service
• Royal Mounted Canadian Police
• Shepherds of Good Hope
• Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa
• Partners in Parenting
• Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
• Food Inspection Agency of Canada
• Agriculture Canada
Among many others…
We look forward to working with any agencies wanting to increase their knowledge about Inuit culture and history, including how to move forward as an ally in reconciliation.
Inuit Cultural Education
for Service Providers
Increase your competency in:
· Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit Principles
· Moving Forward towards Reconciliation
· Adoptions and Family Relations
· Providing Culturally Safe Services
· Understanding Inuit Communication
Elders, Feast and Performances
* Les présentations en français seront offertes, si le nombre le justifie
For more information, please contact:
Qujannamiik! We look forward to seeing you there!
©2020 by Inuuqatigiit -- Centre for Inuit Children, Youth and Families | All Rights Reserved.